Trinity Church on Wall Street is one of New York City’s most beloved and revered houses of worship. It has a long and fabled history beginning in 1696 when a group of Anglicans petitioned to buy land in the southern part of Manhattan. Now a robust Episcopal congregation, Trinity has many innovative outreach and social justice programs and has an active grantmaking foundation. One of the terrific projects that this Church supports is the publication of Spirituality & Health, a monthly magazine with all sorts of articles from a Christian perspective and well beyond. As we approach the end of the year and start those ever-popular New Year’s resolution lists, consider their recommendations of “7 Steps to Overflow the World with Happiness”
1. Keep a journal of blessings. Every day write down three items in your life for which you are grateful. Write as much as you can about each one.
2. Perform three acts of random kindness before noon and three more before sundown. Hurry! Make sure you will get no credit for them and that no one else will ever know about them.
3. Write three testimonials of gratitude to three individuals who means a great deal to you. If they are still alive, hand deliver them in person. If they have passed away, deliver them in person to their next of kin.
4. Fill out three thank you notes each morning.
5. Buy three books for three friends and send them anonymously to their attention.
6. Make three apologies for three wrongs you have committed.
7. Give three days of earnings anonymously to a charity in the name of individuals who have wronged you.